The importance of the acid mantle
The more you learn about your skin, the more complicated caring for your skin seems! Right?
At GoodieCo we want to simplify skincare, once and for all. But some of our ideas and routines may seem a bit strange to you, especially if you have always heard that oil is bad for your skin, and that you should always try to remove it. Wash it off, scrub it away, blot it out, flush it away!
Well, we very much disagree, and we have the science (and the results) to back us. Which is why we want to tell you about the acid mantle.
First off, what is the acid mantle?
Your skins acid mantle is the thin film on the skin’s surface that helps act as a barrier against bacteria, viruses, and other contaminants. It also holds in moisture and liquid, retaining the skin’s hydration levels. The acid mantle is actually made up of sebum – that waxy, oily substance that is secreted by the sebaceous gland under the skin. When the acid mantle is mixed with amino acids from sweat, this creates our skin’s happy pH level.
What does the acid mantle do?
- Protects from environmental assaults like harsh weather and pollution.
- Reduces the risk of infection and/or occasional breakouts.
- Secretes enzymes that help break down excess sebum, keeping skin oils in balance.
- Helps to soften skin and keep it hydrated.
- Works with the skin’s own immune system to produce antigens that keep bad bacteria away.
- Help keep skin cells tight and flat, promoting a smooth, strong barrier.
- Prevents against water loss.
While an excess in sebum can lead to unwanted oiliness and clogged pores, sebum is essential to make up the acid mantle and therefore protect the skin. Harsh, soapy and foaming cleansers can be damaging to the acid mantle, as they strip away ALL oils of the skin – including the sebum that makes up the skin’s protective barrier. This leaves your skin susceptible to bacteria and environmental stressors!
This is why we opt for oil cleansing. Oil cleansing breaks down EXCESS oil, but does not completely strip away all the natural oils on the skin. The oil that makes up the acid mantle is therefore still able to do its job and protect your skin! Coming back to basic science, it can be boiled down to: Like dissolves like. Oil dissolves oil. Make sense?
So by using the right oils, you can cleanse your pores of dirt and bacteria naturally, gently and effectively, while replacing the dirty oil with beneficial ones extracted from natural botanicals that heal, protect and nourish your skin. All this while maintaining the natural pH levels of your skin.
5 signs that your acid mantle could be compromised.
Signs of an unbalanced acid mantle include:
- Clogged pores/blackheads
5 ways GoodieCo can help you
- Simplified skincare specifically formulated to repair, protect and maintain the acid mantle
- Take our skin quiz to find a routine that's right for you
- Our skincare solutions will address your actual skin concerns
- Ingredients containing nothing that will cause additional stress to already sensitive skin - no artificial colour, no artificial fragrance, no parabens, no silicones, - just 100% plant-based goodness
- Delivered straight to your doorstep